Posts for: December, 2014
Learn how you could benefit from sedation dentistry the next time you visit your San Antonio dentist.
Dental anxiety is an all-too-common issue. Perhaps you had a negative experience as a child that has still affected you to this day or you just can’t handle being in any doctor’s office. Whatever the reason, if it’s making it hard for you to commit to see your San Antonio dentist when you should, then you may want to consider the benefits of opting for sedation dentistry.
About Sedation Dentistry
We offer two forms of sedation dentistry: oral sedation and nitrous oxide (often referred to as “laughing gas”). The level of sedation we use will depend on how much anxiety you have. More mild forms of sedation will allow the patients to feel calm and relaxed during their visit and will most likely be used for quicker and less invasive procedures and treatments.
For those severe dental anxieties we may opt for more moderate to deeper forms of sedation. When we use these types of sedation you will never be “knocked out” but you may doze off during your appointment; however, a gentle nudge will wake you up and you will still be able to respond to your San Antonio dentist throughout your visit. Some patients may not even remember parts of or any of their procedure.
Sedation Dentistry Candidates
Sedation dentistry in San Antonio is a great option for patients of all ages, including children. Sedation dentistry can be helpful for patients with dental anxiety, those with sensitive gag reflexes, those who have trouble sitting in one position for long periods of time, those who need multiple treatments at once and those with special needs.
Before we deem you a good candidate for sedation dentistry in San Antonio, we will sit down with you and discuss your medical history. We want to know what medications you are taking, both prescription and over-the-counter, any medical conditions and any known allergies. Be as detailed as possible when it comes to talking about your medical history so your San Antonio dentist can ensure that this is the right course of action for you.
If you are interested in sedation dentistry, call your San Antonio dentist today. We can offer you a full range of dental services under a calm and relaxed environment. There’s no need to neglect your oral health when you have sedation dentistry to offer a stress-free dental visit.
- Opt for softer foods like soups, rice, mashed potatoes, eggs and yogurts, especially in the beginning of the healing process; however, this rule is especially important for the first two days after surgery.
- Eat foods at room temperature immediately after your procedure.
- Drink lots of water. It’s important to stay hydrated as it will boost your immune system and promote the healing process.
- Eat crunchy foods like chips or pretzels for six to eight weeks after surgery.
- Eat chewy foods like gum, cookies or red meat, as it can pull the implant away from the gums.
- Eat anything that could get lodged between your teeth like seeds, nuts or popcorn.
- Drink or eat anything hot right after surgery. The anesthesia will numb your mouth and make it difficult for you to judge how hot something is. We don’t want you to risk getting burned.
- Use a straw when enjoying a beverage.
- Drink alcohol for 24 hours after your surgery.